While EMF radiation is not something you can see with the naked eye, it can still pose real threats to our health.
All mobile devices, electronic devices and appliances such as televisions, microwave ovens, and desktop computers emit some degree of Electromagnetic Field (EMF) radiation, but certain aspects of laptop radiation makes them rather unique.
Laptop Radiation Emissions
Laptops are unique from other electronic devices because they are used at such close proximity to the body. Laptops expose us to more intense levels of EMF radiation because they are often used directly in our laps. They would otherwise be considered less harmful if used only a few feet away.
Laptops emit two forms of EMF radiation: Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) and Radio Frequency (RF) radiation.
Laptops produce Extremely Low Frequency (ELF). When a laptop applies energy to perform its various computing functions, the internal parts of the laptop generate ELF radiation which then emit outward. Of course, older laptops tend to emit the highest levels of EMF radiation due to less efficiency.
RF is Radio Frequency radiation. Devices such as laptops, tablets, ipads and other computer devices use RF signals such as Bluetooth, WiFi as well as 4G and 5G to connect to the internet and other devices. In order for these connections to happen, a receiver and a transmitter is necessary in your laptop or other computing device. The transmitter produces RF radiation, and when you have a laptop placed directly in your lap, RF emissions radiate directly into your body.
Laptops also emit high levels of Heat (thermal emissions). Laptops have fans that exhaust hot air and can greatly exceed 110º Fahrenheit. These fans insure proper performance by keeping the operating temperature stable inside the computer, but the hot air that is exhausted by the laptop exposes the user to potentially harmful health effects.
Laptop Radiation Dangers
For many years, leading experts have known that heat and EMF radiation exposure, particularly when prolonged at high levels may cause headaches, dizziness, fatigue, insomnia, breathlessness, and other health related concerns.
When exposing the lap directly to these emissions, more serious health conditions, including skin damage and infertility may occur. For example, an increase of 2.7º Celsius in temperature after only one hour can increase in scrotal temperature which is known to decrease sperm count in men. You should consult a doctor if you experience any of these health issues.
Studies on radiation from laptops have shown effects on fertility as well as DNA and cell damage.
Martin Pall, PhD, has compiled a list of the various effects that EMF radiation from laptops and other electronic devices may have on biological systems.
- Nervous system and brain effects, leading to widespread neurological/neuropsychiatric effects.
- Endocrine/hormonal effects.
- Oxidative stress and free radical damage, which have central roles in chronic diseases.
- DNA effects, producing single strand and double strand breaks in cellular DNA and oxidized bases in our cellular DNA, which can lead to cancer and mutations.
- Elevated levels of apoptosis (programmed cell death), which can cause neurodegenerative diseases and infertility.
- Lower male and female fertility, lower sex hormones, lower libido and increased levels of spontaneous abortion. With laptops this effect is especially pronounced, since the source of radiation is in very close proximity to male and female sexual organs.
- Excessive intracellular calcium [Ca2+]i and calcium signalling which can lead to pathophysiological (disease-causing) responses.
- Cell effects via 15 different mechanisms to cause cancer.
Guidelines for Laptop Radiation Protection
While experts continue to evaluate the various impacts of radiation on humans, it’s a good idea to take precautionary measures to protect ourselves.
Your best choice would be to utilize a whole house EMF neutralizer to neutralize the harmful effects of EMF radiation emitting from your homes wiring and anything plugged into your home. For laptops, cellphones, tablets, and all other electronic devices, we strongly suggest using EMF neutralizer stickers on your devices. Both of these options work to eliminate the harmful effects of EMF radiation exposure on biological systems. There are several other EMF protection products that are equally effective at eliminating the harmful effects of EMF radiation.
Doctors recommend that exposure should not exceed Electromagnetic Radiation levels from 1-3 mG (milliGauss). Many laptops on the market can emit up to 150 mG on the bottom surface of the laptop. Moving just a few inches away can greatly reduce the intensity of the field and the associated risks, but again, EMF Neutralizer Disks are highly recommended to protect yourself from the harmful effects of EMF radiation emitting from your laptop.
Here are a few suggestions for limiting the danger of radiation from laptops:
- When using a laptop, place it on a table or desk if possible.
- Whether you use your laptop in your lap or not, make sure you have an Aulterra EMF Neutralizer Disk on your laptop to eliminate the harmful effects of Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR) and higher frequency, Radio Frequency (RF) radiations such as WiFi and 4G transmissions as well as heat radiation.
- It is best not to place your laptop on a pillow as this disrupts the flow of air from your laptop, which is essential for cooling the laptop as to avoid overheating and/or malfunction.